Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Orange International Street Fair throughout the years

I'm an Orange County gal, actually a city of Orange gal so that means I've grown up with the Orange International Street Fair.

As a child, it was avoided because my parents were severely obese, often handicapped by their bodies, and unable to walk around much in the heat at an event like this. 

As a teen, I would go with my friends to listen to the bands, eat some great food and just get out of the house. 

As a young adult, I lived in Old Towne and would earn money by charging cars to park on my lawn.

As a newly single divorce' (is that still a word de-vorce-A?), I thought it was great to scope out the fellas and eat some great food.

As a new mom, I was paranoid about the stroller being bumped and insisted on carrying my baby throughout the fair, but quickly realized what a huge mistake that was and spent the entire time passing her between my hubby and I.  Can you say, no hands to eat food?

As a mom with a toddler, I put my kid on a leash because she was a runner and headed out to the fair.  I endured dirty looks, sweaty drunks, but had some great food.

As a newly unemployed, new college student, I missed the fair studying studying studying.

As a 'sandwich' generation working mother and wife, leaving the house last year was impossible while caring for my mother-in-law with Alheizmer's.

This year, I could make it work.  I could get a babysitter for my mother-in-law and head out with the family to the street fair, but I think I'll skip it this time.

Who knows what next year will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment