Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pickling Okra-My Way

So I did a bit of front yard gardening this year, which is typically a no-no for my husband. Our rule is I can 'mess up' the back as much as I want and he doesn't mind...but....the front yard is his domain.  He loves his football field of grass and tolerates my flower beds. 

Well, I had some okra seedlings and no space so I plopped them next to my roses and flax and sure enough, I've got what looks like ginormous weeds in my front flower bed, but they are yielding huge quantities of okra from 4 plants.



I've given a bunch away, and starting pickling the rest.  This is a total experiment...so do not try this at home kids.  I didn't want to go through the traditional canning process so I am trying to make fridge pickled okra.

Here's how I did it:

  • Grow okra
  • Pick okra
  • Wash the ants off (ants love my okra plants this year)
  • Trip the tip and top off
  • Stuff them in a sterile jar
  • Dump in pickling space
  • Dump in some salt, I think I used about 1 tsp per jar
  • Pour White Vinegar in to the top
  • Shove them in the fridge

Wait 4-6 weeks for the pickling spices and vinegar to soften them and let the flavors meld.

I'll let you know in a few weeks if it worked!  I figure the vinegar keeps grodies from forming plus it is in the fridge, so I should live through this experiment and if it works, hallelujah.  I love pickled okra!

No comments:

Post a Comment