Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dirt, Martinis and Wine Corks, oh yeah!

I have so many things to post about!  This time of year I am out in the garden every day moving things, playing with the chickens and watering, watering, watering.

Here are a quick couple of pots I changed up based on inspiration from fellow gardener DirtandMartinis.  She had utilized wine corks and piled them up around a plant to use as mulch.

I loved that idea and told her I was gonna do it myself!  For mine, I decided to try putting the corks into a pattern. I played with a few but the circular pattern worked the very best.  Then I grabbed a container of small stones which I had scored for .50 at the Orange Rotary rummage sale (yea, for rummage sales!).  These were nice small pebbles in the original packaging from Pier 1 and they certainly did not start out costing just 50 pennies :)

Plants are: rosemary and pineapple sage

Rosemary-my other rosemary was lost when the plumber replaced our main line, so this is just a teeny little baby that I plan to grow into a huge monster as fast as possible! Rosemary cuttings are wonderful skewers that I use all.the.time.

Pineapple Sage is one of my favorite herbs to grow, the pineapple-i-ness is really strong and I really don't even think there is a sage flavor.  This was also a plant I lost when the plumber replaced our main line so I am making do this year with a small plant.  My other plant was 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide and it only stayed that size because I was constantly cutting it back. The hummingbirds love the red flowers, it grows quickly and easily, cuttings root easily, and I use it to make a simple syrup to sweeten sun tea during summer and in stir fry.  My plan is to grow this into a huge plant, although I'm not sure how it will do in a container, anyone have experience with this?  I had it by my hose before and it just loved the drip drip drip irrigation from the leaky spigot. 



I think my containers look nice and tidy now!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment