Thursday, January 5, 2012

Making a wattle fence part 1

Building a wattle fence, part 1!

Step 1

Get some sticks and rebar!  You need more sticks than you realize.  They should be as long as you want the fence.  If some are shorter that's okay, you can weave them in too, but for this, I just used long enough sticks since I was just making fence panels and not a whole fence.

This rebar is 4 feet long and cost just over $2.00 per section, so it was $16.00 for the rebar. 
REBAR IS DANGEROUS AND AN IMPALEMENT HAZARD, do not do this without wearing proper safety gear and keep your kids away from it until it is properly covered.



Step 2

Pound the rebar into the ground using a hammer, it was really easily done! For the 8 pieces it took me about 10 minutes and I didn’t even break a sweat, so that was awesomely easy!




Step 3

Run a string line that is level so you know how far to exactly pound in each of the pieces of rebar.  I did mine with cotton twine and a level.  I ran it across the rebar to the opposite fence and used a push pin to hold it in place while I measured and adjusted things.





Step 4

Get out your sticks and trim them to the right length


I put the little bits in the bottom of another trashcan, I'll be making another craft with them



Step 5

Then just weave.  In and out of the rebar.  Start at the front of the piece of rebar for the first piece and then the back of the rebar for the second piece and keep alternating as you work your way up the rebar. If the sticks are fresh, it's easy, these were about a week old so some were a little brittle and I had to work with them carefully.

As you build up, squish them down to tighten them together every few inches.



That's it for now, I'll post the final pic in a few days after I get the rebar caps on and stained.

REBAR IS DANGEROUS AND AN IMPALEMENT HAZARD so I ordered up some rebar caps that will be here in a few days.  The cool thing about the caps I got is they are designed to snap in and hold a 2x4 which I think will top off the fence nicely and look cool!


2 comments:

  1. You have made sоme гeally gooԁ points theге.
    I checκed on the net to finԁ out mοгe аbout the іssue and found mоst ρeoρle will go along with
    yοuг vіeωs on thіѕ wеbsite.


    Vіsit my web site: core

    ReplyDelete
  2. That іs a great tip еspеcially to those fresh to the blogospherе.
    Simple but νery accurate іnfo… Appreciate your shaгing thіs one.
    A must rеad poѕt!

    Feel fгee tο surf to my homepage gardening

    ReplyDelete