Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mini Apple Pies in a Muffin Tin



For our Memorial Day BBQ I made mini apple pies in a muffin tin with my kids.  It was a very fast way to make a dozen small pies that were a huge hit! I thought I would share the recipe.  Total hands on time is 30 minutes and bake time was about 45 minutes.

For 12 pies you will need one can of apple pie filling (or make your own)

Crust:

1 cup of butter cut into chunks
3 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of salt

Ice Water as needed

Steps

Mix the flour and salt together
Drop in the butter and using a pastry blender blend and blend until your hand feels like it is going to fall off or until everything is in fine small chunks.(This is great for the kids to do!)
Next, mix in 1 tablespoon of water at a time and blend.  Repeat until you have a very dry dough.

Roll out the dough and cut into 4 inch circles (I used my large Pampered Chef biscuit Cutter)





Then press the dough into the muffin tins, I used my tart shaper tool.  This step is good for kids of all ages.  I've had it for years from Pampered Chef.

Fill with apple pie filling, sprinkle on cinnamon and then let the kids use little strips of leftover dough to create the top!  Then brush on 1 beaten egg to make the surface have a nice shine and color and sprinkle on sugar and voila!

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until evenly brown



No comments:

Post a Comment