I had a farmhouse table that was old and beat up from being outside but was in good enough shape for this project!
Here is a list of the supplies purchased:
Silver Velvet Remnant $3.95
Antique Satin Remnant $2.00
Pewter Gray Gimp $7.80
3" High Density Foam 30"x48" $78.00 (If you can find a piece of foam in some throwaway furniture, always save it, foam is $$$$ and the price continues to increase since it is a petroleum based product.)
Batting 2 yards $16.00
Primer Spray Paint $3.99
Krylon Pewter Gray Spray Paint $4.99
Button Cover Kit $2.50
Here's what I did:
Step 1: Sawed off the legs of the table to shorten it. I am going with a total height right now of 18 inches. I'm short, so this is a good height to sit on or put my feet up on, but I'm also not sure if I'm going to add casters to the bottom of the piece. I'm thinking locking casters would be awesome so I can move it easily to sweep, etc. but I'm going to hold off on that for now.
Step 2: Primed and Painted exposed surfaces only.
Step 3: Spread Gorilla glue on top of table and stuck the upholstery foam on. Now, I'm not sure this is a necessary step, but I didn't want the foam to slide or move while I was upholstering.
Step 4: Covered the foam with a layer of batting and trimmed it to hang just to the edge of the upholstery. The foam alone would have been okay, but the batting softened up the edge of table. That way if I run into it, I won't bruise my shins through the upholstery.
Step 5: Covered the batting with the antique satin remnant. Muslin or any other fabric would work, but the upholstery store had a perfect neutral remnant for $2.00 that was extra wide, which I needed.
Step 6: Starting in the middle of each side, stapled the fabric all around, tucking the corners like a present. I was sure to draw each piece taut and smooth, worked well. I almost stopped with just the satin because it looked great.
Step 7: Repeated Step 5&6 with the velvet.
Step 8: Glued gimp on using hot glue and burned my palm, yeah!
Step 9: Cut circles out of the velvet and using a button cover kit made buttons. Note, the velvet was too thick for the little button cover kit teeth to grab so I hot glued it together and it worked just fine. No one is looking at the bottom of my buttons anyway.
Step 10: Hot glue the buttons you made in Step 9 to the corners and voila, done! It's shiny and shimmery, super comfy and we'll see if I decide to add those castors.